Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Bug tracking and project management with RememberTheMilk

When you run a web portal, one of the important tasks is to track and fix the bugs to come across.

With large project teams this task can be made into a process and tracked through softwares. However, if you have only one programmer working on the portal, then you need a quick and simple solution.

I have been doing this for past few months by either jotting down points in email drafts or on small pieces of paper. Both these methods are very crude because the small paper pieces will invariably get lost or messy.

Today I thought of creating an account with RememberTheMilk and so I did.

I cannot believe this whole thing can be so easy. All I need to do is type my issue and press ENTER, and my task is added. In my case tasks are actually issues and bugs that I come across.

It is a continually updating list so I never have to worry about missing anything. Also, as soon as I am done with a bug fix, I need to check it as completed, and it vanishes from the main list (you can always see it in the completed tasks list).

For each task you can add a time duration, set priority, and a lot more. One of the best things is that for each task you can add notes. This is particularly useful when you are researching solutions for a particular issue. You can take notes of how you want to fix it, add URLs of helpful articles, etc.

I am even using it to put down ideas for my data and content related developments.

One very interesting feature is that you can email tasks to your task list. For each account there is a special email id assigned. If you send an email to this special email id, the email content gets added as a task in your task list (subject line becomes a task, and mail body becomes a note). If you have a feedback/support form on your website, it is a good idea to even cc the form contents to this email id as well in which case the support issue will get added as a task, and then you can never miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment